Life has a steep learning curve-especially parenthood.

Life has a steep learning curve-especially parenthood. You can feel as if you are on a mountain
surrounded by majesty one moment, and plummeting off the edge the next.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Jonathan's Little Allie



I know that I have been absent for a while, and for that there is really nothing I can say.

We just had a new addition to our family. Alexandra Evelyn was born on 1/31/13 @ 1am. She was 36 weeks and 2 days, 8lbs and 20" long.

On Sunday, 1/27, shortly after midnight, I started having contractions every 4 minutes along with some bleeding. We went to the hospital and they were able to slow down my contractions and the bleeding stopped unless someone checked me to see if I had dilated any further. They switched me to a different blood thinner that dissipated more quickly, and then on Tuesday evening I was sent home. At about midnight that night I started having harder contractions that were about every 8-10 minutes until about 7am, then they were about every 5-7 minutes apart. I called the Doctor at 8pm on Wednesday and she said she would see me first thing Thursday morning and called in a prescription for pain medication to see me through the night. Chris went to pick up the medicine at about 9pm and I called my mom while I was trying to rest in bed. As soon as I got off the phone with her, I thought I was about to have a contraction and my water broke.

We got to the ER about 40 minutes after my water broke, and by the time they wheeled me up to Labor & Delivery I was having contractions one on top of another. I had to wait for a blood test to come back before they could do the C-section, and after all that I only dilated from the 3 I was at on Tuesday when I checked out to a 4. I couldn’t get an epidural since we had to wait to see if I could get a spinal, so I had nothing for the pain while I waited. Needless to say I was speaking trucker for the next hour or so while I tried to realize I wasn’t dying. If my blood was too thin, they couldn’t have done a spinal and would have had to put me under general anesthesia which would have also meant Chris couldn’t have been present.

They wheeled me into the operating room where I caused my IV to bubble up while moving to the operating table. They had to take that one out and proceeded to try another 5 times to get another one in. I am a very hard stick and have crappy little veins. After about 15 mins of that, they were able to do my spinal and get me on the table. It seemed like no time at all and they were pulling Alex out and starting on the tubal to make sure she is our last. According to all of my Drs it isn’t a good idea for me to do this again, and frankly I don’t have any desire to either.

First picture


Because I am allergic to Morphine and similar drugs, they weren’t able to put anything into my spinal for the pain, so by the time they had my room all ready, I was ready for something to take the edge off. It took almost 2 hrs in recovery until they were able to get me moved and something into a button pusher for me. While in recovery, they discovered that Alex had low blood sugar and needed to be taken to the NICU.

They said that while I didn’t have gestational diabetes, it looked as if she was starting to develop it which is why she was so large and so puffy when she was born. It could have also contributed to all the additional fluid in the placenta. That combined with her size is what put all the pressure on my cervix and caused the early labor.

About 2 hours after I was put in my room, I started itching and having an allergic reaction to the other drug they gave me for pain, so at that point I was out of options except for Motrin and Percocet. I was given doses of those every 4 hours, and after then 1st day dropped the Motrin because of the interaction with the Warfarin I started to take again to prevent blood clots. While most women were just then having their Morphine wear off, I was down to 1 medicine that helped, but not nearly enough. To top it all off, it was so dry there, that I sounded like a 50 year smoker. My voice was raspy and my throat so dry I had to drink a TON of fluid to keep from coughing since it hurt so badly. It took 9 days after coming home for it to get back to normal.

I was in the hospital until Sunday evening, and when I checked out, Alex was still there. First they said they were keeping her until her blood sugar went up. Then she got jaundice 

Under the UV light
With feeding tube
and they said they were keeping her for that. After that, she wasn’t eating enough and kept losing weight, so they were keeping her for that. Now she started to gain back some weight, but isn’t eating enough. She is only eating an ounce by herself. 

I am hoping that we can move to an ad lib eating schedule in the next couple of days and that she will step it up so she can come home.

If you have never had a child in the NICU it is hard to explain how it feels. I go into her empty room every day and my heart breaks. I feel like I am some how defective since both my children came early and had to stay in the NICU. I feel almost lost in a sense.

As a mom, you have a connection to your child that is hard to explain when they are first born. You carried them for X number of months. You felt their first movement. You ate and drank and did everything for them. They were literally a part of you. In theory, when you give birth, you take that child home and the connection grows stronger. When you have to leave them behind, you loose that. You leave that part of yourself behind. You feel almost bereft. At least I do. 
 
And now that we have Jonathan too, I feel as if I am choosing to leave one of them to see the other.

This pregnancy wasn’t supposed to be this way. She was supposed to come home with us. I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do and more. We NEED her to come home to us. My head knows it could be much worse and that we are lucky. My heart doesn't seem to care and just feels like it is missing an integral piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment