Life has a steep learning curve-especially parenthood.

Life has a steep learning curve-especially parenthood. You can feel as if you are on a mountain
surrounded by majesty one moment, and plummeting off the edge the next.

Monday, November 8, 2010

My Wonderful Weekend

Why is it that people you don't know or barely know can't seem to help themselves from touching your sleeping baby? Don't they know that just because they look sweet while their eyes are closed doesn't mean that it was easy to get them that way? And why is it that my husband doesn't listen to me? All men should know that the mom is always right;) Between strangers and my dear husband, I was at the end of my rope this weekend.

I went with my friend Maurissa to a couple of craft shows on Saturday to get me out of the house and to maybe find some cute things for Bubbie (my current nickname for Jonathan). We went to a show in Monroe first and then to a local one down the road at a church. While at the Monroe craft show, this older woman (about 70's I am guessing) wanted to see Bubbie. I didn't really have a problem with that since it is a common issue whenever we go out in public. But then the woman took her finger and ran it down his face. I must have given her a look because she immediately apologized. I told her it was OK (even though it really wasn't), but informed her that if she wanted to "grope the baby" that I would need her to sanitize her hands. I mean seriously-I don't know this woman. She could have just got done picking her nose or eating something where she licked her fingers! On top of all the other things going on with Bubbie right now, a cold is the LAST thing I need. While we were walking around, apparently a couple was "stuck" behind us and made a rude comment about having to get around "that buggy". After Maurissa told me this, I slowed down to walk baby steps. Why do people have to be so rude? If she would have simply asked me, I would have apologized and moved to the side so that they could have gotten past us. I said this all out loud and don't think she heard me as she continued to try to get around us instead of asking.

On Sunday, I went with Chris to his restaurant (check me out) while he did an order and a store run so I could eat brunch. We walked in and there were a few people waiting to be sat as they were busy and needed to get clean tables. There was a woman and her daughter at one end of the bench and a couple seated in the middle. This bench is easily large enough for 6-7 people and there were 4 on it, but the way they were sitting left no real room for others-there was 1/2 a space at one end, a space between the 2 sets of people and a space at the other end. They saw me with the baby seat and not one of them offered to scoot over so I could put it on the bench, so I had to sit Bubbie on the floor. I don't understand where common courtesy has gone. Those people let a BABY sit on the floor, while they were all comfy on a bench. I know that Bubbie wouldn't have been more comfy on the bench, but the only place to sit him was in the direct path of the front door so he got the cold wind EVERY time the door was opened.

After I was sat I grabbed a plate and thoroughly enjoyed the buffet. As I sat there eating, one lady walked by twice asking about Bubbies and wanting to touch him. I asked her not to as it is cold and flu season. I called my mom about something, and the freaking lady that sat on the bench while Bubbie was on the floor came by and started to interrupt my conversation to talk about Bubbie!! The nerve of that lady!! I pretty much ignored her and talked to my mom a bit louder. While we were there, several people Chris works with came by to see us (OK-I'm not fooling myself-they came by to see the baby), and I told them that if they woke him up, that they would then have to work while carrying him around;) Needless to say, he slept the whole time we were there:)

My dear husband was on the 11pm and the 2am feeding on Saturday night. About 4am I heard the baby crying and woke Chris up who begged me to get up and take care of the baby. I sat up and noticed the monitor was not on and went into the room where I found that end of the monitor buried in his crib (where he doesn't sleep), a pillow on the floor, a diaper next to the diaper pail, part of a bottle on the bookshelf, and the glass of water we use to warm up the bottles on the floor. I picked up the baby and got him all warm (his blanket fell off) and cleaned up the mess. Chris had only gotten a couple of hrs of sleep on Friday night and when I asked him Sunday morning what happened with the 2am feeding on Saturday night, he said he didn't remember. He had fallen asleep and woke up to do the feeding and didn't really remember it at all. I cut him some slack for being exhausted, but made sure it wouldn't happen again.

We gave Jonathan a bath yesterday and I asked Chris to help. I told him what his part in each pahase would be:
1-be ready with the pee pee tee pee in case of fountain works.
2-hold him up so I could wash his head and back of his neck.
3-dry off his bottom half and put his diaper on.
4-hold him while I lotioned his back.
5-put his legs in a sleeper while I did the arms.

Here is how it went. Chris wasn't paying attention and almost got his chocolate milk peed in. He would have had I not come to the rescue and put my hand up as a barrier (yes, as the mom of a boy you get used to urine on your misc. appendages) until Chris got it covered. We got his head washed and the rest of the process was relatively successful, but Jonathan had a talk with Daddy about the fact that there needed to be a sense of urgency after the bath since he got chilly so quickly. Then when Chris went to pick him up after Bubbie was dressed , he grabbed his legs like a turkey and slid his hand under Bubbie's head. I started laughing and told Chris that the kid isn't poultry, but a baby and he isn't made from spun glass either. I know that soon, he will be handing him like a sack of potatoes instead of something that used to have feathers;)

I wanted to share a couple of funnies with Chris and Jonathan-the more frustrating parts I will keep to myself:)

No comments:

Post a Comment