Life has a steep learning curve-especially parenthood.

Life has a steep learning curve-especially parenthood. You can feel as if you are on a mountain
surrounded by majesty one moment, and plummeting off the edge the next.

Friday, October 28, 2011

First swim class started as a loss......

We were gifted a family membership to the YMCA by our house. I am taking 3 classes - which all in all ends up being a class every day of the week. After I get these all situated and worked into my schedule for a couple weeks, I will add in some weight training along with walking a mile on the yoga days.

PS-I recommend yoga for EVERY parent out there.

We enrolled Jonathan in a baby swim class that is 30 mins long on Wed night. I was so excited!!

Well, it didn't go so well. First of all, we had a busy day this last Wednesday and all the running around might have made him a little cranky. Chris got him changed into his rubber pants and swim trunks while putting an easy on off outfit over top. While I was getting ready, he kept Jonathan occupied with some goldfish and bouncing. As I hurried around and put on my shoes I heard "Uh Oh".

Chris looked at me, his eyes large, and said that his leg just got really really warm. Of course Jonathan had peed all over his leg, so we had to change his outfit again and get him in the car so Chris could get his pants off and we could get to our class.

Rushing the whole time to get checked in, changed and find our class, I was stressed out by the time we joined the other parents. I think my energy might have fed Jonathan because he started crying after about 2 mins in the water.

My heart broke as I watched my son cry and try to hold onto my bare skin. If he was in pain or if there was something actually wrong I would have gotten out of the pool immediately, but he was just not comfortable in his environment which is not in itself a reason to retreat.

So I tried to turn a mommy fail into a mommy score. I walked around the pool with him and didn't force him to do things that I knew he wouldn't even attempt. Instead we did things like ring around the rosie and wanting to capture the bath animals in the pool.

After about 15 mins, he stopped crying and started just taking everything in. It helped that there was a young lady lifeguard that he was flirting with. He was still attached to me almost like another appendage, but I wanted to pump my fist in the air at the progress that signaled.

By the end of class he was smiling at the teacher and the lifeguard assigned to our class (they do that for child's swim classes-assign a lifeguard to just that class in addition to the pool lifeguards), so I am really hoping that our class this next week might be better.

XXXX (crossing my fingers and toes)

1 comment:

  1. At least you hung in there!! How do you have no photos?? We signed up Nathan for baby swimmers when he was six months old and he loved it! There are still some activities he doesn't enjoy too much but for the most part bouncing with us in the water was always a safe bet.

    ReplyDelete